Tuesday, September 07, 2010

My Favorite iPhone 4 Applications

Well, I have had my iPhone 4 for about 2 months now and so I've decided that it's time to put together a list of my favorite iPhone 4 apps to share around.


#1: Google Maps

It works better on the iPhone than anywhere else.  The combination of a good data link, fast GPS location lock and the best search capability around makes it excellent overall.  I wish it had biking directions, but overall, the single most used app on my iPhone.

#2: Safari

The best mobile browser I've ever used - good enough to check out just about every important web site.  The screen may still be small, but it's still very usable and fast.  From checking in to your flight to checking your bank statement, many services still work best online through a browser.

#3: Documents To Go

I wouldn’t recommend editing lots of documents but it's great at viewing.  I have a smart folder on my mac and I use it to find every document I've opened or modified in the last 90 days.  That means lots of PDF files, lots of excel and PPT, etc.  I dump them into my iPhone and then I can access them anytime I want or need them.  It can also go into Google docs and retrieve other documents.  Viewing capabilities are excellent, even in Powerpoint.

#4: Evernote

I use Evernote as my online filing center for notes, check-lists, and meeting information.  If I don't know where to put something, it goes in Evernote.  And having the locally synced version on my iPhone is just amazing.  Search is fast and useful as well.

#5: JotNot Pro

I travel a lot and I don't like paper.  JotNot lets me "scan" all kinds of random information - such as receipts or other documents - and then file them in Evernote or somewhere else.

#6: Instapaper Pro

The best way to read news articles comfortably.  Instapaper Pro let's me copy down key articles I want to read when I'm offline or just am too busy to read them now.

#7: Kindle

I don't read a lot of books on my iPhone, but I do on my Kindle and my iPad.  Having them all here means that anytime anywhere, I can just pick up the story where I left off.

#8: Pandora

Music to go.  The best music to go.  Anytime, anywhere.  I know my data plan is capped, but music isn't going to blow it out.

#9: Hulu Plus

Now this will blow out your data plan, but when you want a fix of TV, it's the best way to get it.  Hulu Plus is still missing lots of good content but there's always something to watch and it can be a great way to unwind in a boarding gate or while you're waiting for other stuff.

#10: GPS Drive from MotionX

A great value in voice directions with good results to-date.  The service seems to perform very very well without taxing the CPU too heavily.  Overall, a pleasure to use.


I buy a lot of apps.  I'm a sucker for just about every online service you can imagine.  But after two months, these are the ones that have stood the test of time and I hope will keep going in that space.   Later on, I hope I can write up a list of the iPhone apps I'd like to see.



No comments:

Post a Comment