Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Stealth Price Increase At The Rental Car Lot

In this day and age of high competitive intensity and prudent corporate purchasing, it's hard for travel suppliers to push through price increases, but here's one that Hertz and Avis are getting through: increased charges for gas.

I don't mean the charge for refilling the tank, already outrageous, I mean the charge for using a gas guzzling SUV they gave you as a free "upgrade" the last time you rented a car. As a frequent renter at Hertz, I often my car has been "upgraded" to a gas guzzling land yacht or SUV, sticking me with tab for extra gas on a car I didn't want and can't park anywhere.

While you can always go back to the Hertz gold lot and try to exchange the car, that's valuable time you're wasting. They are, no doubt, counting on that.

No comments:

Post a Comment