Friday, August 11, 2006

SIP This: How To Put A Proper SIP Address In Your Signature

I am a big fan of VOIP and itnernet calling, along with instant messaging. It's already having a dramatic impact on the telecommunications industry. However, many VOIP systems are incompatible or at least seem that way. Skype, for example, does not support SIP, which is generally "uncool" in the land of open standards.

I love skype, but my love of Open Standards forces me to use Gizmo alongside Skype. I recently figured out how to find my SIP URI - it's a way of accurately describing your SIP number such that any proper SIP client should be able to reach you.

My SIP URI is
sip:17476274816:@proxy01.sipphone.com

A very good description of how to figure out your SIP URI is on the Gizmo website (
here).

No comments:

Post a Comment