Friday, August 11, 2006

Prepare for Take-off: How To Rocket Through Airport Security

As of 2:45pm Eastern on Friday, August 11, I was able to pass through airport security at JFK in about 3 minutes. That includes time spent waiting in line. Lines for check-in were long at British Airways, but the United Airlines lines were short as were the security lines.



I would have thought, with all the publicity, that folks would have removed all liquids from their carry-ons. Not so, I think I was the only person in line who wasn't having some kind of liquid taken away.

Once it was my turn, I was able to get through security quickly. I got through quickly because nobody wanted to do any additional searches on my bags. I believe I managed that by doing the following:


  • Removed all liquids and gels. I'm resigned to buying new deodorant and toothpaste in every city
  • Packaged all "clutter" - e.g. electronics, cables, MP3 players - into clear plastic bags and removed them from my briefcase and suitcase and put them in a separate tray for the x-ray. The security staffer on duty told me that this makes it easier to read the x-rays and to search luggage.
  • Removed all meta - belt buckle, watch, etc.
  • I was prepared for, but not asked to, switch on and show all my electronics.

The New York Times is running a story online that seems to confirm my experience. I am now recovering from my ordeal and rehydrating at the United Airlines Red Carpet Club at JFK.

No comments:

Post a Comment