Friday, April 01, 2011

Airline Alliances, Mergers Generate Bizarre Results

Check this out.  I buy a plane ticket on United Airlines.  One segment is operated by United.  The next segment is operated by Continental, but sold as a United Airlines code-share with a United flight number.  And the third segment is operated by Lufthansa, but again, sold as a United segment with a United flight number.

  • My first flight is upgradeable.
Upgradeable.
  • My second flight is not.  Say what?  Doesn't United own Continental?  They do indeed.  Doesn't matter.  I cannot upgrade my ticket to business class with any number of miles, points, or VIP certificates.

Not upgradeable.
  • The third flight is operated by Lufthansa.
Not upgradable.


But aren't both Lufthansa and Continental also members of the Star Alliance? Yes they are.  Can't you book upgrade awards through the Star Alliance?  Yes you can.  So why can't I upgrade? Because I bought the United ticket.

Had I purchased a ticket from Continental, I could have used United miles to upgrade on the exact same flight.  But, having purchased it with a United code share flight number, I cannot upgrade.

Seriously, you cannot make this stuff up.


No comments:

Post a Comment