Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Crazy or Lazy: Should I Buy An Electric Bicycle?

So, I'm seriously considering buying one of these electrically assisted bicycles.  I live up the side of the hills in Woodside, California.  (Not very up the hill, as prices go up the higher you get!).  A bicycle ride down to Palo Alto is a nice easy down-hill.  Not so on the way back up. 

The cruise down and back seems like a nice reasonable workout for the weekend.  However, if I just want to go for a quick trip to the supermarket or grab a coffee in Palo Alto, it's a bit much.  I can't afford to arrive at my meetings dripping in sweat or do three work-outs a day.  Still, I like the idea of biking more and driving less.

Hence the electrically assisted bike.  I can zip around without using a car and I can tune up or down the level of effort based on whether or not I need a work-out (at the weekend) or I’m just avoiding using the car.  Compared to a high quality racing bike, prices of $2,000 to $2,500 seem reasonable, but that's a lot more than a $600 hybrid I normally ride.

Is anyone actually using one of these and has experience to report?

The Trek 7200+, one of the bicycles I'm looking at.  Photo from Trek web site.




2 comments:

  1. Paul,

    My name is Jeff Selzer and I am the GM at Palo Alto Bicycles. We have had the Pedal Assist bikes in stock for about 4+ months and have had real success with them. The folks that got them are very happy. The range is about 15 to 20 miles on a charge based on the amount of assist, weight of the rider and the terrain. The power is great! The bikes can really help getting up a hill and you can even recharge them on the way down. They recharge in about 4 hours simply by plugging them into a wall socket.

    That is all the positive stuff.

    The negatives are it is very heavy, about 45+ lbs. When the motor is off that is a lot of weight to be peddling around on. The price is a factor when you consider that the bike is the $650 to $800 hybrid bike with the electric motor and battery included. That is to say you are not paying for improved shifting or high tech materials just the electric assist (which in my humble opinion is worth it). If you get a flat on the rear tire it is a much more cumbersome issue repairing it vs a reg bike. It requires a box end wrench and unplugging the motor and that is before fixing the flat.
    I tell you all this not to sell you a bike but to help in the decision process.
    Hope this helps!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jeff...I am very interseted. In fact, I've been in your store to look at the bikes.

    ReplyDelete