Saturday, July 29, 2006

Personal VPN & Remote File Transfer

I like to take my music and files with me. For some time now, I've been trying to figure out how to make that possible. I've tried various services (I limit myself to the free ones) and other solutions. Online storage, however, seems ruiniously expensive. While I wait for Google's free offering (and wonder if my company will allow me to actually use it), I have pieced together something of my own.

Recipe for Remote File Transfer:

1 Hamachi Personal VPN
1 Tight VNC
1 Quick 'n Easy FTP Server

I think, altogether, I now have it working. I did have to open my firewall to certain ports for the VNC version, but it seems to work more reliably the Remote Desktop. I think my corporate-mandated perosnal firewall on my laptop blocks Remote Desktop.

No comments:

Post a Comment