Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Bangalore: If everything worked as well as your IT help desk

It may be impossible to argue with the success of India's outsourcing companies, but when it comes to hotels, Bangalore is the pits. One of my friends relayed a great story which captures the awful reality of the city's hotels. He was on the phone to a colleague and she asked where he was - he said he was at the Sheraton in Bangalore. "Oh," she said, "I can smell it now."



Worst: The ITC Sheraton Bangalore



Faux British Empire style, horrible service, and a small that no amount of detergent can wash away, the ITC Sheraton Bangalore is one of the worst hotels in the city. The restaurant is mediocre, the health club is microscopic, and the pool is not exactly suitable for lap swimming.



Not Quite As Bad: The Park



Modern "boutique" style is an improvement of "glory of colonialism" at the Sheraton, but the service is even worse. Getting an airport pick-up or room service is a major event. The saving grace of this hotel is the 25 meter pool. Though designed more as a location around which fashionable people can hang-out and been seen, it does quite well for lap swimming. On my stays, I was the only person actually seen in the pool.



Almost Passable: The Meridien Bangalore



I have not spent the night at this hotel, but the meals and business events I have been to at the Meridien have all been passable if not exactly wonderful. The hotel seems well maintained and I think I'll be trying it on my next trip to India.

No comments:

Post a Comment